08 July, 2009



I have been reading the Bible in 90 Days (http://www.biblein90days.org/ ). It’s been a challenge, there is no doubt.! I missed several days and have had to catch up and in fact, am actually behind this moment. BUT there is a wonder at reading the Word of God in large portions – books and entire narratives in one setting. It is a wonder of how God, by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit orchestrate a beautiful, ancient document and allow this narrative to be alive and full of meaning thousands of years after its actual writing. I am amazed and thankful.

I also want to note this morning, that I am serving at camp Little Pine Island (http://www.lpicamp.org/). Along with another officer, we are serving as cabin counselors. The camp was short resident men staff for this session. So, we are in a small space (although Captain Jeff and I do have our own sleeping area). The boys are 10-12 years old and there are eleven of them. There is a little “wildness” in them, but even for this old guy, it is great to see these kids grow over this short week. Last night, we shared prayer requests and prayed together in what seemed to be a pretty significant moment.

Some of these boys from Salvation Army centers around Western Michigan and Northern Indiana are pretty troubled – they come from troubled homes, economically challenged, some dysfunctional, possibly abusive. I heard the camp director, Curtis Britcher, share how a study and assessment was done of the camp and the campers overwhelmingly stated in their feedback that LPI was a safe place in their lives. I thought that was commendable. I can see it in the kids I am sharing a week of life with. Many of these boys have some issues – some are normal 10, 11 and 12 year old boy stuff and others have serious medical concerns related to emotional and psychological concerns, I pray that these guys see God’s working in the fun, adventure and activities they participate in.

No comments: